Valerie A. Smith
President, Swarthmore College
Director since 2022
- Governance, Nominating and Sustainability Committee
- Organization and Compensation Committee
Current Public Company Directorships:
Prior Public Company Directorships:
President of Swarthmore College since July 2015, a private liberal arts college. Dean of the College, Princeton University, from 2011 until 2015, served as Founding Director of Princeton University’s Center for African American Studies from 2006 to 2009, and Director of Princeton University’s Program in African American Studies, from 2002 until 2006. Served as Woodrow Wilson Professor of Literature, Professor of English and African-American studies, Princeton University, from 2001 until 2015.
PhD University of Virginia; MA, University of Virginia; BA, Bates College
Skills and Qualifications:
- In-depth knowledge of human capital management and diversity, equity and inclusion including from leadership positions at Swarthmore College and Princeton University and being a scholar of African American studies.
- Significant experience in management and strategic planning acquired as President of Swarthmore College and Dean of the College, Princeton University.
- Valuable background knowledge in climate risk management and sustainability gained as President of Swarthmore College.
- Strong track record in varied leadership roles.