Over 120 Years of Service to New Jersey
The Public Service Corporation was formed in 1903, by combining more than 400 gas, electric and transportation companies in New Jersey. Thomas McCarter was named the Corporation's first president and held the position until 1939.
Internally, Public Service consolidated its gas and electric interests into Public Service Electric and Gas, and its transportation interests into Public Service Coordinated Transport (later Transport of New Jersey). Concerns about the concentration of economic power resulted in federal and state actions requiring the breakup of utilities. In 1943, Public Service once again became a stand-alone company, and was renamed Public Service Electric and Gas Company (PSE&G) in 1948.